“In our school there is a world of wonder”
Woodcocks’ Well Primary School is situated, on the western side of the ridge which marks the boundary between Cheshire and Staffordshire in the village of Mow Cop. The school’s idyllic location is a talking point for visitors, there are few schools located in such as lovely position, which also provides, at first hand, the changing pattern of both rural and urban landscapes.
The school was originally built to provide an education for the children of the agricultural workers, quarry men and miners who lived in and around the village of Mow Cop. Today, the school draws pupils from a wider area.
In 2008 the school celebrated its 150th anniversary. The oldest part of the building bears the date 1858. The school was originally built to provide an education for boys, but this changed in 1868 when girls were admitted.
The school has continued to grow and change, as has the community it serves. Although externally the building retains its original charm and character, it has over the years been extended and modernised. As a Church of England School, Woodcocks’ Well is proud of its links with St Luke’s Church. The children enjoy attending the church regularly and particularly taking part in special services, such as Easter, Christmas and Harvest.
For many of the local people, the school is a focal point of their lives and they show a keen interest in all that happens. Their involvement in the school is always welcome.
We also link to the past with our Evacuee experiences booked through Congleton museum. Please see the link below